Blogger Tricks

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

UNIT 22. Will/shall (2)

    A. We do not use will to say what somebody has already arranged or decided to do in the future:
  * Ann is working next week. (not 'Ann will work')
  * Are you going to watch television this evening? (not 'will you watch')
  For 'I'm working ...' and 'Are you going to ...?, see Units 19-20.
  But often, when we talk about the future, we are not talking about what somebody has decided to do. For example:
  CHRIS: Do you think Ann will pass the exam?
  JOE: Yes, she'll pass easily.
  'She'll pass' does not mean 'she has decided to pass'. Joe is saying what he knows or thinks will happen. He is predicting the future.
  When we predict a future happening or situation, we use will/won't.
  * Jill has been away a long time. When she returns, she'll find a lot of changes.
  * 'Where will you be this time next year)' 'I'll be in Japan.'
  * That plate is very hot. If you touch it, you'll burn yourself.
  * Tom won't pass the examination. He hasn't worked hard enough for it.
  * When will you know your exam results?
    B. We often use will ('ll) with:
  probably: I'll probably be home late this evening.
  I expect: I haven't seen Carol today. I expect she'll phone this evening.
  (I'm) sure: Don't worry about the exam. I'm sure you'll pass.
  (I) think: Do you think Sarah will like the present we bought her?
  (I) don't think: I don't think the exam will be very difficult.
  I wonder: I wonder what will happen.
  After (I) hope, we generally use the present:
  * I hope Carol phones this evening.
  * I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow.
    C. Generally we use will to talk about the future, but sometimes we use will to talk about now. For example:
  * Don't phone Ann now. She'll be busy. (= I know she'll be busy now)
    D. I shall .../we shall ...
  Normally we use shall only with I and we.
  You can say I shall or I will (I'll), we shall or we will (we'll):
  * I shall be tired this evening. (or I will be ...)
  * We shall probably go to Scotland for our holiday. (or We will probably go ...)
  In spoken English we normally use I'll and we'll:
  * We'll probably go to Scotland.
  The negative of shall is shall not or shan't:
  * I shan't be here tomorrow. (or I won't be ...)
  Do not use shall with he/she/it/you/they:

  * She will be very angry. (not 'she shall be')

No comments:

Post a Comment