Blogger Tricks

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

UNIT 21. Will/shall (1)

    A. We use I'll (= I will) when we decide to do something at the time of speaking:
  * Oh, I've left the door open. I'll go and shut it.
  * 'What would you like to drink?' 'I'll have an orange juice, please.'
  * 'Did you phone Ruth?' 'Oh no, I forgot. I'll phone her now.'
  You cannot use the present simple (I do/I go etc.) in these sentences:
  * I'll go and shut the door. (not 'I go and shut')
  We often use I think I'll ... and I don't think I'll ...:
  * I feel a bit hungry. I think I'll have something to cat.
  * I don't think I'll go out tonight. I'm too tired.
  In spoken English the negative of will is usually won't (= will not):
  * I can see you're busy, so I won't stay long.
    B. Do not use will to talk about what you have already decided or arranged to do (see Units 19-20):
  * I'm going on holiday next Saturday. (not 'I'll go')
  * Are you working tomorrow? (not 'will you work')
    C. We often use will in these situations:
  Offering to do something
  * That bag looks heavy. I'll help you with it. (not 'I help')
  Agreeing to do something
  * A: You know that book I lent you. Can I have it back if you've finished with it?
  B: Of course. I'll give it to you this afternoon. (not 'I give')
  Promising to do something
  * Thanks for lending me the money. I'll pay you back on Friday. (not 'I pay')
  * I won't tell anyone what happened. I promise.
  Asking somebody to do something (Will you ...?)
  * Will you please be quiet? I'm trying to concentrate.
  * Will you shut the door, please?
  You can use won't to say that somebody refuses to do something:
  * I've tried to advise her but she won't listen. (= she refuses to listen)
  * The car won't start. I wonder what's wrong with it. (= the car 'refuses' to start)
    D. Shall I ...? Shall we ...?
  Shall is used mostly in the questions shall I ...?/shall we ...?
  We use shall I ...?/shall we ...? to ask somebody's opinion (especially in offers or suggestions):
  * Shall I open the window? (= do you want me to open the window?)
  * I've got no money. What shall I do? (= what do you suggest?)
  * 'Shall we go?' 'Just a minute. I'm not ready yet.'
  * Where shall we go this evening?
  Compare shall I ...? and will you ...?:
  * Shall I shut the door? (= do you want me to shut it?)

  * Will you shut the door? (= I want you to shut it)

No comments:

Post a Comment