Blogger Tricks

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

UNIT12. When ...? and How long ...? For and since

A. Compare When ...? (+ past simple) and How long ...? (+ present perfect):

A: When did it start raining?

B: It started raining an hour ago/at 1 o'clock.

A: How long has it been raining?

B: It's been raining for an hour/since 1 o'clock.

A: When did Joe and Carol first meet?

B: They first met a long time ago/when they were at school.

A: How long have Joe and Carol known each other?

B: They've known each other for a long time./since they were at school.

B. We use both for and since to say how long something has been happening.

We use for when we say a period of time (two hours, six weeks etc.):

* I've been waiting for two hours.

for two hours

two hours ago -> now

two hours/a week/20 minutes/50 years/five days/a long time/six months/ages

* Sally's been working here for six months. (not 'since six months')

* I haven't seen Tom for three days. (not 'since three days')



We use since when we say the start of a period (8 o'clock, Monday, 1985 etc.):

* I've been waiting since 8 o'clock.

since 8 o'clock

8 o'clock -> now

since

8 o'clock/1977/Monday/Christmas/12 May/lunchtime/April/they were at school

* Sally's been working here since April. (= from April until now)

* I haven't seen Tom since Monday. (= from Monday until now)

It is possible to leave out for (but not usually in negative sentences):

* They've been married (for) ten years. (with or without for)

* They haven't had a holiday for ten years. (you must use for)

We do not use for + all ... (all day/all my life etc.):

* I've lived here all my life. (not 'for all my life')

C. We say 'It's (a long time/two years etc.) since something happened':

* It's two years since I last saw Joe. (= I haven't seen Joe for two years/the last time I saw Joe was two years ago)

* It's ages since we went to the cinema. (= We haven't been to the cinema for ages)

The question is How long is it since ...?

* How long is it since you last saw Joe? (= When did you last see Joe?)



* How long is it since Mrs Hill died? (= When did Mrs Hill die?)

No comments:

Post a Comment