Blogger Tricks

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

UNIT 28. Must and can't

    A. Study this example:
  We use must to say that we feel sure something is true:
  * You've been travelling all day. You must be tired. (Travelling is tiring and you've been travelling all day, so you must be tired.)
  * 'Jim is a hard worker.' 'Jim? A hard worker? You must be joking. He's very lazy.'
  * Carol must get very bored in her job. She does the same thing every day.
  We use can't to say that we feel sure something is not possible:
  * You've just had lunch. You can't be hungry already. (People are not normally hungry just after eating a meal. You've just eaten, so you can't be hungry.)
  * Brian said he would definitely be here before 9.30. It's 10 o'clock now and he's never late. He can't be coming.
  * They haven't lived here for very long. They can't know many people.
  Study the structure:
  I/you/he (etc.) must/can't be (tired/hungry/at work etc.)
  I/you/he (etc.) must/can't be (doing/coming/joking etc.) do/go/know/have etc.
  I/you/he (etc.) must/can't do/go/know/have etc.
    B. For the past we use must have (done) and can't have (done). Study this example:
  George is outside his friends' house.
  He has rung the doorbell three times but nobody has answered.
  They must have gone out. (otherwise they would have answered)
  * The phone rang but I didn't hear it. I must have been asleep.
  * I've lost one of my gloves. I must have dropped it somewhere.
  * Jane walked past me without speaking. She can't have seen me.
  * Tom walked straight into a wall. He can't have been looking where he was going.
  Study the structure:
  I/you/he (etc.) must/can't have been (asleep/at work etc.)
  I/you/he (etc.) must/can't have been (doing/working etc.)
  I/you/he (etc.) must/can't have done /gone/known/had etc.
  Couldn't have ... is possible instead of can't have...:
  * She couldn't have seen me.

  * Tom couldn't have been looking where he was going.

No comments:

Post a Comment